Monday, October 21, 2013

In the Field...week 1

Hello everyone!

I'm finally in Thailand!  It has been a crazy but awesome.  I began my first week of training by buying a bike (cagrayaan).  This is when it really hit me that I had to ride a bike around Thailand traffic!  When my room mates were teaching me how to ride a bike this summer, in preparation for my mission, I didn't think I really thought about it much...or at all.  I made them take me to trails because I was to scared to drive in Provo traffic.  J
 
In my few day of dodging motorcycles, maneuvering Thailand’s U-turns, and trying to keep up with my companion (not easy), I've found a few coping methods.  The first, singing hymns to myself so I don’t freak out and seriously praying for safety.  But it’s getting easier every day…what hasn't gotten easier is riding in skirt.  J  I am pretty sure I’ve flashed everyone in my area, at one point or another.  LOL  The other sisters say you just learn how to manage it, but they can’t explain how???  Oh well, till then I'm Marilyn Monroing it.  :-0
 
Anyways, I love the branch I’m serving in and I love the members.  I can’t understand 90 percent of what they are saying but they are so strong and kind. The members really want a meeting house and they're definitely enthusiastic in helping with the missionary work! 
 
My companion and I have a white washed the area, meaning she had never been here before and so we were kind of starting from scratch with investigators.  We started teaching an investigator that we met at his shop.  He's been thinking about religion for a long time because his parents believe in different religions.  We had our first official lesson with him and though my Thai is not so good, I definitely felt the spirit. There is a power intensified in your beliefs and I love bearing my testimony to the people of Thailand!
 
A cultural tidbit about Thailand.  Talking about peoples race is not taboo and they definitely do it often.  I get called a farang several times a day and everywhere I go I stick out...a lot.  The other sisters I work with are either khonthai (native Thai) or half Thai, so I really stick out.  J  The blessing side of it…it gets me noticed which allows me to talk to many people!  

I love you all and I'll write more next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment